Sunday, October 16, 2011

Makin' Memories at the Renaissance Festival

We happened to have a Saturday free of sports and the Renaissance Festival is in town.  I got this crazy idea to take the kids by myself since Rob had to work.  I really wanted to take the kids this year since we are just finishing up our study of the Middle Ages and moving into the Renaissance next week.

It seemed a good idea to let Peyton have her special day with Grandma and Mac-Mac since she's too young to really understand the history and the festival as well as being the only child I have to worry about wandering away from me in a crowd.  So, the big 3, the baby and I set off this morning for the Renaissance Festival.  It felt like a day with just the big ones, since Emily was content to hang out quietly in the wrap sleeping or watching the entire day.


I only had one freak out moment when I thought I was missing a child in a shop.  My heart stopped and my breathing quickened for a split second as my eyes searched for Peyton and then I laughed as I remembered that she was with Grandma. 

What a day we had!  The kids were amazed to see a "town" just like the ones we've been reading about in our books.  Michael was especially excited to see the jousting and the knights.  We met a fairy who gave the children rocks sparkling with fairy dust, tried on knight's armor and even got knighted by the king and queen!

The kids rode a couple of rides, though the jousting horses proved to be too much for Rebekah.

Michael's sword is his new pride and joy.  At one point during the day I realized that he was trying to chop down the entertainment tent.  On the way to the car we had to walk slowly so he could do battle with all the trees along the way.  Last night, when I tucked him in bed his sword was right beside him and this morning he came downstairs with his pajamas on and his sword in his hand.

No wonder my shoulders are sore!  A full day of a baby tied on front and a heavy backpack behind while weaving through crowds and hanging onto 3 other little ones.  Totally fun though!  And so nice not to have a stroller to keep up with and push all day. 

No comments: