Friday, February 29, 2008

Recent funnies

*Miriam asked when leaving Grandma and Mac-Mac's house after realizing that Grandma and Mac-Mac were inside all alone, "Are they happy, mommy?"

*Miriam didn't understand the word "ignore" when Rebekah's chatter was bugging her. I said, "pretend you can't hear her." After a confused pause Miriam said, "But mommy, I always hear, I have ears!" (I could just hear the "duh!" in her voice!)

*Rebekah does not like to show off. She rarely performs when asked; she is not a child that enjoys the, "what does the cow say" type questions. I can always tell she is paying attention when I am talking or reading and when Miriam and I are playing question/answer type games, but she does her own thing. If questioned directly she will always answer, "I don't know" or will not speak at all. I've never felt the need to push her. Mostly I am just trying so hard to keep her emotions/attitudes under control that I don't even dare to venture into more academic tasks! As far as I knew up until a few days ago, she only knew 4 or 5 colors, no shapes, and 2 or 3 letters. While at a restaurant with my parents Mom pointed to the R in a sign labeled "DETOUR" and asked Rebekah what letter it was. She proudly answered "R!" She loves R and will point at any word beginning with that letter and proclaim it to be her name. However on Sunday, Mom kept pointing to the letters in the DETOUR sign. Rebekah called the U a V, and the E an F (but she couldn't see the bottom line from where she was sitting) and got the others correct. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea that she could name so many letters and so quickly too! The next day she and Miriam were playing Hullabaloo. Usually Rebekah just steps on whatever piece she likes and pays no attention to the directions. But, this day she followed all directions finding pieces based on color, shape, or category. I didn't know that she knew any shapes other than hearts and stars!!
I just know that she'll be the child that just picks up a book and starts reading one day! I can see that homeschooling her is going to take lots of creative technique!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also at the restuarant, Bek's paper placemat had a 'game' which included a lot of scrambled letters. When I asked her about each of them, she was almost 100% correct...it's all in the timing with Rebekah. She was 'in the mood' to be agreeable and to 'perform' for me --- so different from her sister who's always ready to perform. Rebekah is going to be Rebekah (and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or wants)!!! I think probably Rob's mom is thinking this is payback...tee hee.