Monday, March 1, 2010

Rebekah Jo is 5!

Our sweet Rebekah Jo turned 5 years old today!
This morning when Grandma called to wish Rebekah a happy birthday Rebekah said, "I don't feel 5, I still feel like I'm 4. My voice sounds the same!" I love how children think they magically grow on the day of their birthday.
Yesterday Rebekah went on her birthday date with Daddy. Given her choice of any outfit she owns she choose her comfy pink sweatpants, long sleeve t-shirt and her trusty pink crocs. They went to Olive Garden where Rebekah ate an entire kid's cheese pizza, 3 breadsticks and a bowl of ice cream! She loved having her Daddy's undivided attention and kept him busy with nonstop conversation. Next they went to Build-A-Bear and Rebekah made a purple bear she named Sarah. Rob said it took her 20 minutes to pick the bears outfit because she had to make sure the outfit was the perfect match to the bear's necklace.

This morning Rebekah was thrilled to have her one-on-one Mommy time baking her birthday cake. We decided on a simple heart cake pan since we'll be having cupcakes at her big party this weekend. However, as soon as we opened the cake pan drawer Rebekah decided that she really, really wanted a butterfly birthday cake. She planned the cake's colors very carefully and enjoyed getting squirts of each color on her finger while I was icing the cake.For dinner we had Rebekah's favorite "snack" dinner; we ate at the card table in the den and watched Bolt together. She wanted to save present opening for last, so we had her cake after we ate dinner. Peyton was happy to help Rebekah open her presents. She's getting some practice before her big day next week.
Rebekah got a new baby doll and a Mama made mei-tai for her birthday. Miriam, Michael and Peyton gave her a pair of pink binoculars.I think she had a really good day. It was a lot for her though, she's still a very emotional child. It's a lot for her to work through and process new and different things, even when they are good things. Tonight after tucking her into bed I walked by the girls room to hear her sobbing. She cried herself to sleep. I tried to comfort her and get to the bottom of her tears, but it only made them worse so I had to just leave her to work through it herself with her new teddy and her sister by her side. I think it was just an emotional dump from the happiness and busyness of her special day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rebekah is a beautiful child...inside and out!
I love to hear her voice melt when she hears me on the phone, "Hi Grandma!" - Music to my ears!