Rebekah has surprised me so much lately. Of all our kids she is often the most complex. Much like when she was a toddler, you just never know what to expect from her. She certainly keeps me on my toes in all areas. She reminds me so much of myself sometimes. She likes to do things on her own terms, in her own timing, and as independently as possible.
Last year when Miriam learned to sew she wanted me to sit right with her and guide her every step of the way, constantly looking for perfection in her own work and approval/encouragement from me. Rebekah got her turn at the sewing maching this week. The needle hadn't gone into the fabric two times before she said, "Ok Mama, I got it. You can let go now." And that was that. She'd rather do it wrong for a little while as she figures it out. A few crooked seams, no problem just keep right on going. She giggles at her mistakes and keeps on trucking ahead on her projects. She doesn't get discouraged or want to start over, she just pushes ahead. And you know, by the end of her project she was making pretty perfect seams!
When the girls work on thier needlework and cross stitch Miriam sits as close to me as possible asking questions before she makes any stitches and double checking her work with me often, asking my opinion on where to stitch next, what color to do next, etc. Rebekah sits on the other couch and does it her way only coming to me if she really needs help and ususally snatching the work back before I'm even done helping her!
I love watching her when she is confronted with a new situation. She almost always says, "no" when presented with opportunity to try something new that may need a bit of courage to do. But, I've noticed that if I allow her to take her time and don't try to convince her she almost always works through her anxiety alone and then surprises us by joining in the activity. This summer it was the diving board. She did not want to jump off that thing...however a little while later in the day she got out of the pool, put on her life jacket and goggles and walked right over to that diving board and jumped off. She didn't want to talk to us about it, she didn't need an audience, she didn't even need someone in the water to catch her. She just needed to think it through on her own. When Miriam pierced her ears this month it was the same thing. Rebekah said she didn't want her ears pierced (both before and after seeing her sister get her piercings), however knowing Rebekah, Rob suggested that we spend a little while walking the mall after Miriam's piercings. Sure enough not half an hour later Rebekah spoke up to tell us that she wanted to go get her piercing done too. When situations like this presented themselves Rob and I used to get so frustrated trying to talk Rebekah into things...it's so nice to have finally figured out that for Rebekah it's much better to just let it go and give her a chance to think alone.
Sometimes I look back at the struggle of her toddler years and I realize that poor child was probably just trying to get some space and gain some independence!
School has, for the most part, been such a delight with her in the last several months as well. She has gone from hating reading to cheering when I pull the reading box out (thank you Wilson Reading!!!!) She is making so much progress. Tonight she read a real book out loud with little help from me. It was all I could do not to cry with happiness when she finished-- there were times in the last year that I really wondered if we'd ever get to this point. I have worried so much that the process of teaching her to read would squash her spirit and make her hate reading.
I am so thankful for Rebekah Jo! I love watching her grow and change.
No comments:
Post a Comment